Skip Global navigation and goto content

It's a New Day in Public Health.

The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.

Skip MegaMenu and goto content

Food Service Establishments

Contact Us

Department of Health:

Responsible for Public and Private Schools, Assisted Living Facilities, Civic and Fraternal Organizations, Detention Facilities, Bars and Lounges that do not prepare food, and Theaters with limited food service items.

Services Provided:

The Environmental Public Health Division of the Polk County Health Department permits and inspects over 400 facilities in the county that prepare and serve food. All aspects of the facility’s operation are examined, including personnel and equipment. Extra attention is paid to safe handling, preparation, and storage of food. The environmental specialists use the routine inspections as an opportunity to teach and train food service workers safe food preparation, handling, and storage techniques. The division works closely with the other state agencies that are involved in food safety. Our environmental specialists will conduct joint inspections with these agencies in any facility involved in a potential foodborne illness outbreak.

Who to Contact

For the facility types listed above, contact the Department of Health in Polk County:

Environmental Public Health office:

2090 E. Clower Street
Bartow, FL 33830

Phone: (863) 519-8330
Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday

Other state food agencies:

The following six agencies have various responsibilities for proper food handling practices in Florida:

Department of Business and Professional Regulation (opens in new window):
Responsible for most restaurants located in Florida.

Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (opens in new window):
Responsible for most grocery and retail stores.

Agency for Health Care Administration (opens in new window):
Responsible for hospitals and nursing homes.

Department of Children and Families (opens in new window):
Responsible for childcare centers.

Agency for Persons with Disabilities (opens in new window):
Responsible for group homes that serve persons with disabilities.