What Services Are Available?
The Florida Department of Health in Polk's Tobacco Prevention Program (opens in a new window) uses grant funds to mobilize community efforts to encourage a tobacco-free Polk County. The major goals of the program are to:
- Reduce the prevalence of tobacco use, including electronic cigarettes, among youth, adults, and pregnant women
- Reduce per capita tobacco consumption
- Reduce exposure to secondhand smoke
- Reduce tobacco-related disparities in Polk County
The Florida Department of Health in Polk works with Tobacco Free Polk, a group of local individuals and agencies, to achieve these goals. The mission of Tobacco Free Polk is to educate and serve the citizens of Polk County regarding tobacco use prevention, intervention, and cessation. Click here to visit the new website. (opens in a new window)
The following are FREE resources available to help tobacco users quit.
- Tobacco Free Florida campaign at www.tobaccofreeflorida.com (opens in a new window)
- Florida Quitline at 1-877-U-CAN-NOW (1-877-822-6669)
- Florida AHEC Network’s Quit Smoking Now Referral Line at 1-87-QuitNow 6 (1-877-848-6696)
For more information, please contact the Tobacco Prevention Program at (863) 519-7900.
Students Working Against Tobacco (SWAT)
Students Working Against Tobacco (SWAT) is Florida’s statewide youth organization working to mobilize, educate, and equip Florida youth to revolt against and de-glamorize Big Tobacco. It is a united movement of empowered youth working towards a tobacco-free future. It is designed to create a youth-led, youth-driven club that will work toward prevention of tobacco use and addiction in local schools and communities.
For more information about SWAT, please contact the SWAT Coordinator at (863) 519-7900 or online at www.swatflorida.com (opens in a new window)
When & Where?
For more information, contact the Community Health Services - Tobacco Prevention Office in Bartow at (863) 519-7900