What Services Are Provided?
The goal of the Healthy Start Program is to give every baby a healthy start in life by ensuring moms receive prenatal care early, babies are born healthy, and infants and toddlers develop and thrive.
Funded by the Healthy Start Coalition of Hardee, Highlands, and Polk counties, the health department coordinates care for women throughout their pregnancies, post-partum women for up to 18 months following their delivery, infants and toddlers (up to age 3).
Healthy Start Care Coordinators make home visits to provide families with the following services:
- Breastfeeding education and support
- Childbirth education and Infant Massage by certified staff
- Family planning education and services
- Health education in English and Spanish
- Depression screenings and referrals for mental health counseling
- Parenting education
- Smoking cessation
Healthy Start Coalition promotes safe sleep practices for infants. Remember your ABC's:
Alone - infants should sleep alone with no other items with them
Back - infants should be placed on their backs
Crib - infants should sleep in their crib
Beds 4 Babies
The Beds 4 Babies Project consists of two components:
1. Public awareness and education campaign
2. Distribution of portable cribs to eligible families to provide a safe place for babies to sleep
The Beds 4 Babies Project promotes infant safety by educating parents on the need for safe sleep practices. The project works directly with families most in need and Healthy Start staff accepts referrals from community organizations and local medical providers.
For more information contact us using the information on the right.