As with sunlight, there are risk associated with overexposure to ultraviolet light from tanning beds and booths. Each tanning facility must be licensed in Florida. The Florida Legislature has authorized the Department of Health to regulate tanning facilities due to potential health risk associated with indoor tanning. The Polk County Health Department regulates tanning facilities within Polk County under Chapter 64E-17 Floirda Administrative Code and 381.89, Florida Statutes.
Facts About Indoor Tanning Facilities
- Minors under the age of 18 must have the signature of parent or legal guardian to use an indoor tanning device.
- Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult in order to use a tanning device.
- Every person using a tanning device must wear protective eyewear which has been approved by the FDA.
- The operator of each tanning facility must be certified through a course, which has been approved by FDOH.
- Each tanning facility must maintain client records for 4 years.
- The operator of the facility is responsible for the sanitary maintenance of all devices and supporting equipment.
To learn more about the tanning program, including a list of approved training providers, and information about spay on tanning please visit Tanning Facilities.
Who to Contact:
2090 E. Clower Street
Bartow, FL 33830
Phone: (863) 519-8330
Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday