Public Pools and Bathing Places
What Services Are Available?
The Environmental Health Division inspects, permits, and investigates any complaints associated with public swimming pools, spas, and bathing places.
Pools and bathing areas, including those in apartment complexes and condominiums, are regulated by the health department. This regulation does not include the many private swimming pools in our community.
Contractors must submit an application and engineered plans for review by the local building department prior to construction of all new public swimming pools and spas. After construction, the pool must be inspected for compliance prior to opening. An annual permit is issued when approval is granted.
All pools and bathing facilities are inspected at least twice a year to ensure:
- Proper disinfection of the water
- Chemical balance of the pool water
- Filtration equipment is being properly maintained
- Safety equipment is maintained on site
When & Where?
Environmental Health Office
2090 E. Clower Street
Bartow, FL 33830
Environmental Health Phone: (863) 519-8330
Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday
• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Healthy Swimming website (opens in new window)