What Services Are Available?
The Polk County Health Department helps women maintain good reproductive health through planned pregnancies by offering a wide range of family planning services including:
- Physicals, which include pap smears and breast exams
- Birth control
- Tubal ligation
- Counseling, testing, and treatment for STDs, HIV, and AIDS
- Education on the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- Breast and cervical cancer referrals
- Pregnancy testing
- Tubal ligation (for women) and vasectomies (for men) are available for eligible, low-income residents who are over 21 years of age and desire permanent sterilization.
You may be eligible for free services through our family planning waiver.
Family Planning Waiver Program
Who is eligible for the Family Planning Waiver Program? You may qualify for this program if:
- Is between the ages of 14 and 55
- Has lost full Medicaid services for any reason in the past 24 months
- Wants to have family planning services
- Is not pregnant
- Has not had a hysterectomy or sterilization
- Has a household income less than or equal to 185% of the current federal poverty level
What services are available through this program?
- Physical exams which may include a pap smear, breast exam, and STD testing
- Family planning counseling and pregnancy test
- Birth control supplies including condoms
- Colposcopies and treatment for STDs which are limited to a six week period after a family planning exam, counseling visit, or supply visit
- Related pharmaceuticals (medicines and antibiotics) and laboratory test
How to sign up for the Family Planning Medicaid program?
You may visit one of the local health departments to request an application.
If interested must complete an application, provide proof of identity, and proof of income.
Once the application is complete, it can be mailed or returned to the local health department for processing.
Women who had Medicaid during pregnancy do not have to apply; they are automatically enrolled for the first year.
All women must reapply for the second year of services.
If you have any questions, you may contact the number listed.